Installation Problem

Joseph Maxwell jaymax@jaymax.com
Wed Nov 28 16:30:00 GMT 2007


Tom Browder wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 1:30 PM, Joseph Maxwell <jaymax@jaymax.com> wrote:
>   
>> In the event of a double post, plz. forgive my mail daemon reported a
>> failure previously
>>     
>
> First you should answer Eljay's questions because we can't read your
> mind nor your past actions in this affair.  Tim is trying to get past
> the known problem areas from people not exactly following instructions
> for building gcc.
>
>   
Thanks Tom. It is not so much what is said, but how someone says it. 
Your reply made so much difference, I am now re-looking my whole 
download,  initial setup, installation etc. The problem exists somewhere 
there and I think I'll find it. Although it may be in the SGI's binary 
package installation.

> Have you successfully built gcc on this host before
>   
Yes I did many years ago, but just a one time installation, 'did not an 
expert make. Many disk changes etc. in the interim caused  many  
archetectural  features  to go unobserved, especially the 'gas' 'as' 
nuance where the problem exist, I think. Even after reading the log, it 
did not appear very obvious. It was not until I was searching the disk 
that I found traces of an obsolete mips compiler with an 'as' that the 
lights went on.
> Can you post your configure options?
>   
I was using it with default settings - no options
> Can you execute as from the command line?
>
>   
No
> If you can execute as and gcc from the command line, report results of
> the following:
>
>   which gcc
>
>   
4.2.2
>   which as
>   
Indeterminate, reinstalling with the version in the binutils-2.18 distro
> -Tom
>
> Tom Browder
> Niceville, Florida
> USA
>
>   
I think I'll get it
Thanks again and my apologies for the confusion

PS: Perhaps the log could be re-written so that the naive or uninitiated 
do not misconstrue the 'as' as an adjective  rather than  a noun, 
despite  the quotes.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list