Debugging gcc-compiled programs on Windows

Andrew Smith asmith15@littlesvr.ca
Sat Nov 17 04:51:00 GMT 2007


Jim Marshall a écrit :
> Andrew Smith wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just finished porting a GTK (pure C) app to Windows, but there is 
>> some weird bug, that I need a debugger to find.
>>
>> Im using mingw to build it. There is a gdb package for mingw, but that 
>> doesn't work - when I press ctrl-c gdb quits, so since I'm not getting 
>> crashes the utility of it is.. not there.
>>
>> Is it possible to compile programs using gcc on windows so that the 
>> visual studio debugger will be able to load the symbols for it?
>>
>> Or is there some way to attach any debugger to a such a program and 
>> break execution while it's running?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew
>>
> What version of GDB are you using? I've used mingw GDB 6.6 on Windows 
> without problems.
> 
insight-6.6-mingw.tar.bz2 from the mingw sourceforge page. Is there a 
better version for me?

> You could always start your program and then start GDB and then attach 
> to the process (use the tasklist command line tool to get the PID - 
> tasklist is a MS tool that ships with XP Pro and the server products).
> 
Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but how do I break the execution of 
the program so I can input commands to gdb? If I press ctrl-c either 
nothing happens, or gdb quits (depending on how I started it).

I would appreciate some instructions, I may be missing some fundamentals 
in my understanding of how to use gdb.

In the past what I've done to get to the gdb prompt while attached to a 
process is to type ctrl-c, but on windows that doesn't seem to work.

I appreciate your time,

Andrew



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list