Scheduling and inserting NOPs
Ian Lance Taylor
iant@google.com
Tue Nov 13 18:18:00 GMT 2007
Boris Boesler <baembel@gmx.de> writes:
> 1) As far as I can see some levels of optimization do not schedule
> the code. To generate correct code I have to insert NOP-operations to
> fill the delays (the architecture has no interlocks), but I can't
> find a function/hook to generate these NOPs. Could someone point me
> to the functions in the internals document? I tried
> TARGET_SCHED_DFA_NEW_CYCLE but this one can't write to the output.
> 2) The scheduling depends on the producer/consumer. An operation
> can consume a register-operand without any difficult scheduling:
>
> cycle 1: MOV R1, #4711 ;; r1 := 4711
> cycle 2: ADD R1, R1, R1 ;; r1 := r1 + r1
>
> But if an operation reads the memory via an address register, then
> the register must be written some cycles before the operation:
>
> cycle 1: MOV A1, _label_a ;; get address of var a
> cycle 2: NOP
> ..
> cycle 5: ADD (A1), (A1), (A1) ;; *a := *a + *a
>
> I tried to solve this with (define_bypass 4 ..) with my own guard-
> function, but the ADD-operation appears before cycle 5 (same problem
> as no.1?)
gcc is weak on VLIW support. The scheduler does not insert NOPs for
you.
The usual workaround is to write code in TARGET_ASM_PROLOGUE which
does it. E.g., frv_pack_insns in config/frv/frv.c.
Ian
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list