wrong GCC-configuration? (./specs: Is a directory)

Karl Krach mailinglists@blueSpirit.la
Fri Mar 23 16:17:00 GMT 2007


Hi!

I'm a Gentoo user and tried to emerge k3b and got stuck while installing 
the necessary app-cdr/cdrdao-1.2.1-r1 package:

     [...]
     checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
     checking for C compiler default output file name...
             configure: error: *C compiler cannot create executables*
     See `config.log' for more details.
     [...]
     !!! ERROR: app-cdr/cdrdao-1.2.1-r1 failed.

In the config.log the interesting part is

     configure:2357: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -v </dev/null >&5
     Reading specs from ./specs
     x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: *./specs: Is a directory*
     configure:2360: $? = 1
     configure:2362: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -V </dev/null >&5
     x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: '-V' option must have argument
     configure:2365: $? = 1
     configure:2388: checking for C compiler default output file name
     configure:2391: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=k8 -pipe
                 -O2 -fno-inline conftest.c >&5
     x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: *./specs: Is a directory*
     configure:2394: $? = 1
     [...]
     configure:2433: error: C compiler cannot create executables

What I figured out: My problem is that my GCC reads the specs from the 
current directory (if available). To demonstrate this:

     bluespirit tmp # ls
     bluespirit tmp # gcc -v
     *Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/specs*
     Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
     [...]
     gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)
     bluespirit tmp # touch specs
     bluespirit tmp # gcc -v
     *Reading specs from ./specs*
     gcc: unrecognized option '-v'
     gcc: unrecognized option '-mtune=k8'
     Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
     [...]
     gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)
     bluespirit tmp # rm specs
     bluespirit tmp # mkdir specs
     bluespirit tmp # gcc -v
     *Reading specs from ./specs*
     gcc: ./specs: Is a directory
     bluespirit tmp # unset GCC_SPECS
     bluespirit tmp # gcc -v
     *Reading specs from ./specs*
     gcc: ./specs: Is a directory
     bluespirit tmp #

How can I teach my GCC to use ONLY the given specs - and ignore the 
directory specs (which exists in the cdrdao-folder). In my opinion, I 
use the Gentoo settings for the GCC - so I'm wondering, why this error 
is so rarely documented in the web.

Thanks in advance,
Charly
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: gcc.v.txt
URL: <https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-help/attachments/20070323/358da083/attachment.txt>


More information about the Gcc-help mailing list