Starting programs How?

RLB hooksbetty@sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 23 15:07:00 GMT 2007

          Have been using VisualStudio ( 6  & 8) for several years.   I am
not satisfied with the stuff that comes out of MSFT.

                I have tried for several years (occassionally) to get into a
different area -- and I have not discovered the secret to beginning.   At
present I have Boost; gcc compiler; cygwin; gimp; STAF; STAX; VS6; and VS8;
in the  hdd that runs WinXP.   I am unable to find a place to start any of
the programs, projects, or whatever, except the VS6 and VS8.  I have the
manuals from gcc.   Hundreds of pages, many not be relevant.  And nowhere
does it tell  how to institute any of the programs.

For example:  How do you get the gcc-4.1.2  to do anything?

Is there a program editor here anywhere?  If so how do you call it up?
(Other than the VS6 or 8)

How do I get any of this stuff to work together with any of the other stuff?

Basically I have a workable program that XP will not run.   Is there a way
to move all the files from the VS6  and rework it somewhere else?    Bear in
mind that the program I have involves some 40 odd files.

Can anyone give me anything that will help -- even the way to institute any
of these outfits.   I can probably figure how to make the program work if
there is a starting place.

Thanks,

                                                                    Bob
Bailey