Installing gcc in a local directory

Jose Luis García Pallero ita-garpaljo@itacyl.es
Fri Mar 23 07:51:00 GMT 2007

Hello,
First of all I should say that I'm a newbie GNU/Linux user.
I need to install gcc/gfortran 4.2.0 in my computer. I would like to install it in a local directory, no the standard /usr/local. I configured the package with the options:
./configure --prefix=/home/user/gcc-4.2.0 --enable-languages=c,fortran --with-mpfr=/home/user/mpfr-2.2.1 --with-gmp=/home/user/gmp-4.2.1
and when it was compiled I put in .bash_profile the lines:
PATH="/home/user/gcc- 4.2.0/bin:$PATH"
export PATH
I don't know if it is the only PATH that I should be defined. Should I define any other LIBPATH or INCLUDEPATH?

Thanks