Is there a way to pretty-print output for templates errors

Daniel Berlin dberlin@dberlin.org
Thu Mar 22 16:06:00 GMT 2007

On 21 Mar 2007 08:17:41 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Stephen Torri <storri@torri.org> writes:
>
> > I have a hard time reading the template errors I get from GCC. I was
> > wondering if there is a flag for the compiler so that instead of getting
> > output like below. I know I failed to present this snapshot in a
> > preformatted output. This was deliberate to show how hard is to read
> > this on a terminal window.
>
> Question about compiler options are appropriate for the mailing list
> gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org, not for gcc@gcc.gnu.org.  Thanks.
>
> Unfortunately there is no such option.

BTW, i think the real readability improvement (besides obviously
trying to use magic to make them shorter but understandable) would be
had from making it visually clear where the word " to non-scalar type"
starts.

At least for me, half the time I spend trying to interpret the error
is going through the 80 lines it spewed trying to find where the
template it's complaining about ends and where the error it's actually
complaining about begins.