gcc forgets to decrease esp after function call

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 18:08:00 GMT 2007

Vladimir Simonov writes:

 > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Vladimir Simonov writes:
 > >  > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > >  > > Vladimir Simonov writes:
 > >  > >  > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > >  > >  > > Vladimir Simonov writes:
 > >
 > >  > >  > > Fillet that, and you will have a test case that can be submitted.
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > It requires a lot of mannual work - remove a peace of code, then
 > >  > >  > check that the test can be built, the check that the bug did not
 > >  > >  > disappear, etc.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > It's your code, so presumably you are familiar with it.  I stepped
 > >  > > though the code in gdb, and it seemed that not many routines were
 > >  > > actually involved.
 > >  >
 > >  > We have tried to minimize the test but without significant success.
 > >  > If we try to create simple test case from scratch we can't
 > >  > reproduce the problem. I have a feeling the problem appears
 > >  > if huge templated code involved into codegeneration.
 > >  >
 > >  > If I understand correct it is impossible to file this
 > >  > bug to gcc bugzilla - it does not permit attachements.
 > >  >
 > >  > Do you think I need to post the problem to some another
 > >  > list to get it solved? Or just leave it( and you :) ) alone?
 > >
 > > It all depends on what you need.  I have this feeling that your
 > > problem may well be fixed by a more recent g++.  It's hard to be sure,
 > > because your test case does not even compile with a more recent g++.
 > > This is, I suspect, becasue we have improved g++ to be closer to the
 > > real ISO C++ standard.
 > >
 > > g++ Version 4.3 reports a number of type mismatch errors in the area
 > > that may be causing problems.  It is quite possible that if you fix
 > > these errors your problem will go away.
 >
 > Ok, thank you.
 > We'll try to fix sources to be compatible with gcc 4.3.
 > And check the issue.
 > Could you advise somehow working gcc 4.3 CVS snapshot?
 > Link to tarballs would be very helpfull.

http://gcc.gnu.org/snapshots.html

Whether this helps or not, it will be interesting.

Even if it doesn't fix things, it's much more easy to get a gcc
developer to fix a bug in the development gcc than in an old version.

Andrew.