how to cast away 'volatile'?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 13 19:50:00 GMT 2007

Andrew Haley wrote:
> I suppse we have to ask the OP why he's using volatile.

Ok, I guess I should answer that. It's part of a typedef that is
essentially 'typedef volatile long atom_t', i.e. the type that is passed
to atomicAdd, atomicSwap, etc functions (which are of course written
with inline assembler using 'lock' - the memory barriers are handled).
Also because atomicRead is a no-op to simply read the value, since this
is safe. So I'm expecting 'volatile' to a: discourage compilers from
doing stupid reordering to the code, like say putting the read before a
call to atomicXyz, and b: force a re-read from memory (in case some
other thread is changing the value) rather than using a cached value.

Now I'm wondering if maybe I should just drop the volatile, but I'm not
sure I trust doing that...? Michael Eager's post makes it sound like I
am in exactly the few cases where use of 'volatile' is appropriate.

Oh, and did I mention I'm actually implementing lightweight mutexes? :-)
I can't use pthread mutexes; this code is supposed to build on Windows
and Solaris also (Solaris has pthread mutexes but not the FAST/ADAPTIVE
type AFAIK).

--
Matthew
HIPPOS feel unacknowledged. HIPPOS get angry.
 > PRAISE HIPPOS
HIPPOS seem somewhat placated.