Building gcc 4.2.0 cross-compiler (host=i386-apple-darwin8.10.1, target=powerpc-apple-darwin7)

Kai Ruottu karuottu@mbnet.fi
Mon Jun 25 18:34:00 GMT 2007

William Gallafent wrote:
> I have successfully build a native compiler on an intel mac pro,
> using the following configure parameters:
>
> --with-sysroot=/Developer/SDKs/MacOS10.4u.sdk --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++ --enable-__cxa_atexit
>
> (I suspect the --with-sysroot is irrelevant in this case).
>
> I am now trying to build the equivalent compiler targetting
> powerpc macs, with the target given in the subject line of this
> post:
>
> --with-sysroot=/Developer/SDKs/MacOS10.3.9.sdk --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++ --enable-__cxa_atexit --target=powerpc-apple-darwin7
>
> The configure step appears to work OK, and the build commences
> and churns away for a while ..... but then:
>
> /Volumes/Scratch/williamg/Builds/gcc-build-powerpc-10.3/./gcc/as:
> line 2: exec: ppc: not found
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Of course you will need an assembler for PPC, not for x86....  But how
this cross 'as' for 'powerpc-apple-darwin7'
could be got is totally unclear for me :-(  A couple of years ago the
GNU binutils weren't ported for the MacOS X
"MachOS' or something object format, not at least the 'as' and 'ld', and
I fear the situation being still the same... But
just as well there could be now support for Darwin/PPC in the current
binutils snapshots.

MacOS X seemed to use some old heavily hacked GNU binutils, "version
1.x" or something as its native 'as' and
'ld' and the sources maybe being compilable only on MacOS X.  When your
$host is just that, producing 'cross'
versions of the native 'as' and 'ld' could succeed from those Darwin
sources.

So finding out the situation with the Darwin targeted binutils would be
your homework...