Odd g++ compiling

Daniel Lohmann daniel.lohmann@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Jul 26 06:36:00 GMT 2007


benjamin schrieb:
> I have encountered a strange performance while compiling. The problem
> is; when I change some <PARAMETER> in my <PROGRAM> and recompile it via:
> 
>  g++ <PROGRAM> -o <OUTPUT>
> 
> and run it:
> 
>  ./<OUTPUT>
> 
> I get the <Segmentation fault> error massage. OK, but when I recompile
> it once again without changing anything:
> 
>  g++ <PROGRAM> -o <OUTPUT>
> 
> and run it:
> 
>  ./<OUTPUT>
> 
> , the program seems working perfectly well. This is the case only if
> program is exactly <PROGRAM>, I did not noticed such a behaviour
> before. 


Hi Benjamin,

1) Did you compare the output of the two g++ runs? Are there, besides time 
stamps, any differences?

2) Did you try to compile and run on a different machine?

I am asking all this, as in my experience such "mystical" run-time 
behaviour (that seems to depend on moon phase, tide, number of executions 
and so on) is a strong indication for a transient error (hardware problem). 
So I'd suggest to check this first, testing on a different machine is a 
simple way to get some evidence.

Daniel



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list