Right C FLAGS for my processor

Roberto Guida roberto.guida@tiscali.it
Wed Jul 4 23:14:00 GMT 2007


Hello!! i'm new at the list, so.. hello everyone!!
here is my /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2598.151
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca 
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid xtpr
bogomips        : 5201.43

I would like to know what are the right FLAGS to put when i compile 
something with gcc...

reading the gcc manual (not all, it is huge) i found (I think!) that for 
my processor, I should put these ones:

-O3 -mtune=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -malign-double 
-m128bit-long-double -mmmx -msse -msse2 -maccumulate-outgoing-args 
-mno-push-args

then maybe (i'm less sure here, i've to study more! :) ) these ones too:

-ffast-math -fstrength-reduce -fexpensive-optimizations -funroll-loops 
-frerun-loop-opt -falign-loops

am I right? or do I miss someone? or am I wrong?

thanx in advance folks!!

Roberto



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list