glibc version dependencies

Michael T raselmsh@hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 19:39:00 GMT 2007


Hello Ian,

Thanks very much for the answer.  I have just been looking at how autobuild 
do it with their apgcc wrapper (haven't looked at g++ yet, I went C only to 
avoid that one :).  Basically, when I did

  apgcc [file] [args]

it translated that to

  gcc -I/usr/local/include/apbuild -include 
/usr/local/include/apbuild/apsymbols.h \
      -DAPBUILD_VERSION="2.0.2" [file] \
      
-Wl,--enable-new-dtags,--rpath,${ORIGIN}/../lib,--rpath,${ORIGIN}/../lib/autopackage 
\
      -shared-libgcc -Wl,--as-needed [args]

The apbuild include directory contains a GNU ctype.h (seems to be modified 
to eliminate some version dependencies) and apsymbols.h, which contains a 
lot of lines similar to

__asm__(".symver __duplocale,__duplocale@GLIBC_2.1");

It also adds various libraries in /usr/libexec/autopackage - 
libcurl.so.2.0.2, libgcc_s.so.1, libstdc++.so.5.0.2, libstdc++.so.6.0.5 and 
libuau.so.3.0.0.  I presume that these override the standard libraries 
either at link or at runtime and are more "compatible" versions.

Just thought I would post this in case it interests anyone.

Regards and thanks,

Michael

> > So my question: can anyone tell me a good way to produce a binary
> > which is glibc 2.2 compatible, other than building on a glibc 2.2
> > system?  What determines which version of glibc is required by the
> > binary?  (BTW, I do supply source code as well, but I would like to
> > build a binary for people's convenience).
>
>Unfortunately glibc is not forward compatible, and unfortunately there
>is no way to restrict yourself to an older version of glibc.  I only
>know of two ways to build a program which only relies on glibc 2.2.
>The first and simplest is the one you mention: do the build on a glibc
>2.2 system.  The second is to build a cross-compiler to a glibc 2.2
>system; this is most easily done using crosstool.
>
>Ian

_________________________________________________________________
Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! 
http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list