cross compiling for x86_64

Indu Bhagat bhagat.indu@gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:44:00 GMT 2007


Thanks for the help from gcc-help. For now, gcc (for the target platform = x86-64) is working for me.For clarification, my machine is x86 (32 bit) and I needed x86-64 binaries to be executed on a "virtual machine" that has HOST = my machine (x86) and GUEST = x86-64. So, here I had no machine which is x86-64 and hence no installed libraries

On 1/8/07, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> Kai Ruottu writes:
>  > Andrew Haley wrote :
>  > > Indu Bhagat writes:
>  > >  >  I am trying to configure gcc for compiling some c,cpp and fortran
>  > >  > sources to x86_64 on my x86 machine using the following steps:
>  > >  > 
>  > >  >  1. Binutils-2.17 configuration and installation:
>  > >  >  2. After successful completion of step 1, gcc configuration and
> installation:
>  > >  >  3. After this, I proceeded with glibc, as I think one needs to have
>  > >  >  appropriate library support as well, to support cross compilation.
>  >  > OK, now you need to build gcc again, this time with glibc (not 
>  > newlib) support.
>  > 
>  >  The common rule is that the "appropriate library" is always the C
>  > library for the $target!  For Red Hat's Linuces for instance it is
>  > that for the Red Hat Linux in question, not for instance that for
>  > some SuSE Linux or for some Debian or for some Ubuntu.  And not a C
>  > library for some "totally self-made Linux" which the builder
>  > produces oneself purely from sources!  If one doesn't know much,
>  > the safe bet is always the original target stuff in the existing
>  > target case!
> 
> Well, that's good enough if one already has a pre-built set of target
> libraries: in that case, there is clearly no point building them
> again.  However, the OP wants to build libc for the target, and I have
> to assume they have a decent reason for doing so.
> 
> Andrew.
> 



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list