making cross compiler soft float by default

Chris Steel chriszaurus@yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 23:19:00 GMT 2007

I've successfully (I think!) built a soft float cross
compiler for mips using gcc 4.1.1, glibc 2.5, binutils
2.17 and kernel headers from 2.6.19.1. This seems to
work  OK for anything that I compile with

gcc test.c -msoft-float

However when I try to put my shiny new cross compiler
into our huge legacy build system, it appears that
CFLAGS aren't being propagated in the build system as
well as they might be, so the -msoft-float option
doesn't get passed to all the compile commands.

Is there a way to make the cross compiler build
everything for soft float without being told? I'm
assuming the specs file might play a role in this, but
since I've never modified this before, some simple
instructions would be greatly appreciated.