compile problem

Blake Huff stangmechanic@gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 00:03:00 GMT 2007


Chris:

I'm no expert, but I'll take a swag.

This is happening because the compiler doesn't know where to look for  
stdio.h, probably because it was installed in a "non-standard"  
location.  For example, if it was installed to /usr/local/include/   
instead of /usr/include/ (or wherever the compiler expects it), the  
compiler can't find it.

Long story short, you probably need to locate stdio.h and direct the  
compiler to find it using -I (That's the dash 'eye' option).   So if   
stdio.h is in /usr/local/include/     I would compile with: gcc -I/ 
usr/local/include/ hello.c.

You can also find information on the internet about how to add a non- 
standard directory to the compiler's search path so you don't have to  
do this every time, but I'm lame on that and just use these options  
every time.


Blake Huff


"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my cat for letting me  
live here."



On Feb 12, 2007, at 5:34 PM, Chris Bruno wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have just tried to compile a simple "Hello World" program in C,  
> but it
> failed to do so.
> source code:
>  #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main()
> {
> 	printk("Hello World!\n");
> 	getchar();
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> error message:
> ------@--------------:~/Programs/C$ gcc hello.c
> hello.c:1:20: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
> hello.c: In function ‘main’:
> hello.c:5: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function ‘printf’
>
>
> I then changed 'printf' to 'printk' in the source code and got this
> error message only:
> ------@--------------:~/Programs/C$ gcc hello.c
> hello.c:1:20: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
>
>
> I'm using a fresh install of Ubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10), and it has gcc  
> 4.1
> installed.
>
> -chris
>
>



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list