AIX Cross compile on Mac OS X

Perry Smith pedz@easesoftware.com
Thu Feb 1 12:27:00 GMT 2007


On Jan 31, 2007, at 10:07 PM, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Perry Smith wrote:
>
>> So, then I thought I would try to compile gcc using the cross
>> compiler options using the Mac as the host and AIX as the target.  I
>> get up to where it tries to build libstdc++ and then the configure
>> script stops with "undefined host/target combination".  I've loaded
>> binutils on the Mac, compiled with AIX as the target as well.  Still
>> no go.
>
> This should work fine.  It would help if you specified more details,
> e.g. what was the exact configure command and target specification did
> you use?  From looking at gcc-testresults it looks like you want
> "powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0", but the output of config.guess on the system
> ought to tell you what to use.
...

For binutils (I'm including this just to be more complete), the build  
command I did was:

../binutils-2.17/configure \
         --target=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0 \
         --prefix=/Users/pedz/Projects/aix-roots/5.3/usr/local \
         --enable-64-bit-bfd \
         --enable-targets=all

this was followed by 'make' and 'make install'

For gcc, I did this:

ulimit -S -d unlimited
( ../gcc-4.0.2/configure -v \
         --disable-nls \
         --with-sysroot=/Users/pedz/Projects/aix-roots/5.3 \
         --with-gnu-ar \
         --with-ar=/Users/pedz/Projects/aix-roots/5.3/usr/local/bin/ 
powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0-ar \
         --with-gnu-ld \
         --with-ld=/Users/pedz/Projects/aix-roots/5.3/usr/local/bin/ 
powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0-ld \
         --with-gnu-as \
         --with-as=/Users/pedz/Projects/aix-roots/5.3/usr/local/bin/ 
powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0-as \
         --target=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0 \
         --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr \
         --enable-languages=c,c++ && echo "configure returned $?" ) >  
C-OUT 2>&1

PATH=$PATH:/Users/pedz/Projects/aix-roots/5.3/usr/local/bin
( make && echo "make returned $?" ) > M-OUT 2>&1 &

I will try changing the make to 'make all-gcc'.

As far as the "system headers", I basically copied /usr/include from  
the AIX host and put it into /Users/pedz/Projects/aix-roots/5.3 and  
then I set --with-sysroot equal to the base of that.  I had to fix a  
few symbolic links after the copy.  As far as I know, that is all the  
headers that gcc needs but I'm not sure.

I just noticed the libiconv argument.  I took this script from what  
worked to build gcc on AIX and then started adding to it.  I probably  
should make sure that libiconv is correct.

Thank you for your help,
Perry



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list