AIX Cross compile on Mac OS X

Perry Smith pedz@easesoftware.com
Thu Feb 1 00:38:00 GMT 2007

I asked this a year or more ago and got back a nice reply but now I
want to do something slightly different.

I'm wanting to have g++ on my Mac that can just do a compile to
assembler.  Essentially, I'm wanting just a syntax check.  So far, my
attempts have come up short.

I tried just copying over the AIX header files and using the Mac
compiler but I run off into the weeds.  I'm guessing that the Mac
compiler has a different set of predefines.  I tried to specify the
AIX predefines by looking at the output with -v set but I'm still not
able to compile.  I have -nostdinc set and a few -I<dir> options set
along with a couple of -Uxxx to take out what the Mac compiler
defines and a couple -Dxxx to add in what the AIX compiler defines.
It still isn't working.

So, then I thought I would try to compile gcc using the cross
compiler options using the Mac as the host and AIX as the target.  I
get up to where it tries to build libstdc++ and then the configure
script stops with "undefined host/target combination".  I've loaded
binutils on the Mac, compiled with AIX as the target as well.  Still
no go.

I'm trying this wit gcc 4.0.2, AIX 5.3, and Mac OS X 10.4 (power pc).

I'm about to give up.  Its just sort of a whim that I want this
anyway.  It would be fun to be able to edit my AIX code while I'm
away on trips (as I am now) and not connected to my AIX host but
there really is no practical reason to do this.  But I thought I
would post to this let to see if anyone has any suggestions or hints.

Thank you,
Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems