Compile gcc from source on a 64 bit OS ?

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Thu Dec 27 21:42:00 GMT 2007

Hsieh, Pei-Ying (MED US) writes:

 > I need to compile gcc from source on a 64 bit linux OS (Ubuntu and
 > OpenSuSE).

x86_64, I guess.

 > After scanning through the installation procedures and manual, it
 > is not clear to me how to do this on a 64 bit OS (default seems to
 > be for 32 bit OS, using -m32).  It will be highly appreciated if
 > you can shed some light on this.  Thanks!

It's usually configure, make, make install.  Debian-derived distros
have some patches because they put 64-bit libraries in /lib instead of
/lib64, which is where the standard says they should be.  I don't
think you'll have any such problems with SUSE, though.

Maybe someone who has built Debian on x86_64 can respond.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903