Clarification on section variable attribute usage [try #2]

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Tue Dec 11 16:17:00 GMT 2007

Please never send a message to both gcc@gcc.gnu.org and
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.  Thanks.  I've dropped gcc@gcc.gnu.org from this
reply.

Franck Bui-Huu <vagabon.xyz@gmail.com> writes:

> Since at least 3.4, the GCC manual says:
>
>      Use the `section' attribute with an _initialized_ definition of a
>      _global_ variable, as shown in the example.  GCC issues a warning
>      and otherwise ignores the `section' attribute in uninitialized
>      variable declarations.
>
> but this doesn't seem correct.

Yes, I'm fairly sure that is no longer correct.  gcc is now smart
enough to not treat a variable with a section attribute as a common
variable.  I think the documentation is simply wrong.

Ian