What is translation unit

mahmoodn nt_mahmood@yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 12:43:00 GMT 2007


Hello,

Sorry, I did not fully understand. I think mean that number of translation
units = number of cpp files.
Right?


John (Eljay) Love-Jensen wrote:
> 
> Hi mahmoodn,
> 
>> What is translation unit and how can I determine how many translation
>> unit
>> my code have? :confused:
> 
> Let's say you have three source code files, foo.cpp, bar.cpp and baz.cpp.
> 
> Here are the three translation units, which translate from the source file
> to the object file.
> 
> g++ -c foo.cpp -o foo.o
> g++ -c bar.cpp -o bar.o
> g++ -c baz.cpp -o baz.o
> 
> 
> When linking the object files together, that process is not a translation
> unit.
> 
> g++ foo.o bar.o baz.o -o quux
> 
> HTH,
> --Eljay
> 
> 
> 

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/What-is-translation-unit-tp14250608p14252082.html
Sent from the gcc - Help mailing list archive at Nabble.com.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list