Serious Bugs In Gcc Builds

Lionel B lionelb.nospam@gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:30:00 GMT 2007


On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:44:24 -0800, Thomas Dineen wrote:

> Peter:
> 
>      I think the idea here is the make the S/W easier to access and use,
> thus opening up the user base to become hopefully larger, maybe
> exponentially larger. Keep in mind I and one of the biggest supporters
> or fans of GNU Freeware, and conversely one of the biggest haters of
> Microsoft. To destroy MS you must make your tools easier to access and
> use, to the point of being usable by the average user.

So it's a little tricky to build from source and install a large, 
complex, sophisticated, cross-platform, open source compiler suite. How 
surprising. Now... when did *anyone* - average user or not - build and 
install a MS compiler suite from source (apart from an MS employee)?

I suspect you will find that the "average user" of GCC is using a pre-
built GCC configured for easy install in their environment by some kindly 
package maintainer - and in "environment" I include MS Windows (cf. 
MinGW, Cygwin, etc.). Not so different, then, from installing a MS 
compiler (except, obviously, cheaper, better, cross-platform and open 
source).

[...]

-- 
Lionel B



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list