reduce compilation times?

Tom Browder tom.browder@gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 12:19:00 GMT 2007


On Dec 4, 2007 5:23 AM, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you read the manual Section "Using Precompiled Headers" ?
> if you mean http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Precompiled-Headers.html, I
> have not yet found anything related to that I said.
>
> I am not expert in compiler and its options so, maybe I did not understand
> exactly what it said.

I think Andrew was referring to reducing compilation times by using
precompiled headers.  Since headers tend to be more stable than
implementation code, such use will reduce recompilation time.

As far as removing unneeded headers, as far as I know that is a
manual, trial-and-error job that no one has as yet automated (but it
should be fairly easy to make a housekeeping script to do that).  Try
commenting out header include lines one at a time and test for
successful compilation.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list