Need help building combined gcc/binutils/newlib

Rick Mann rmann@latencyzero.com
Sat Dec 1 02:14:00 GMT 2007


I've looked at several archive messages, and many OLD instructions,  
and I still can't quite figure out how to do a combined build of GCC  
targeting xscale-elf.

I need to do this from release tars. I downloaded gcc-4.2.1,  
binutils-2.18, and newlib-1.15.

I extract these all into one dir:

gccbuild/
   binutils-1.15/
   gcc-4.2.1/
   newlib-1.15/


Then I wasn't sure how to use the symlink-tree script, so I tried this:

cd gccbuild
mkdir src
cd src
../binutils-2.18/symlink-tree ../binutils-2.18
../binutils-2.18/symlink-tree ../newlib-1.15
../binutils-2.18/symlink-tree ../gcc-4.2.1

Then

cd ..
mkdir build
cd build
../src/configure  --prefix=/usr/local/gcctest \
                   --target=xscale-elf \
                   --enable-languages=c,c++ \
                   --with-newlib --disable-nls \
                   --disable-libssp --with-float=soft

It did a short configure, then I tried "make all".

It ran for a while, then got into a seemingly endless series of  
messages like this:

> Fatal configuration error.  See the libtool docs for more information.
> : ltconfig version `' does not match ltmain.sh version `1.4a-GCC3.0'



I suspect part of my problem is the order in which I'm running symlink- 
tree. But I could just be way off target.

Can someone please explain to me the process (or point me to a  
resource that does)? Thank you very much!

-- 
Rick



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list