Compiling GCC using existing binutils

Brendon Costa brendon@christian.net
Mon Aug 6 21:47:00 GMT 2007

>> Is it possible to avoid having to build a new version of binutils using
>> the GCC just installed by somehow configuring the new GCC to make use of
>> the existing libiberty from the old GCC? Or is that just going to cause
>> all sorts of possible problems?
>
> That is going to cause all sorts of possible problems.  Better to keep
> your new gcc separate from your old gcc, e.g., by configuring with a
> different --prefix.
>
> Ian

They do have different prefixes. The existing one has /usr and the new
one /usr/edoc. However I have been compiling the new one without
binutils (I.e. not doing a combined build or rebuilding binutils with
the new GCC afterwards), assuming it would successfully use the existing
binutils in /usr. Is this possible as a generic solution or for the
generic solution am i going to have to build binutils + newlib as well
as GCC?

Thanks,
Brendon.