cross GCC building error

Kai Ruottu karuottu@mbnet.fi
Wed Sep 20 20:01:00 GMT 2006

manjunatha kirjoitti:
> Hi    I am  geeting the  following  error  on building cross compiler
> for MIPS,
 You are NOT getting the error when "on building cross compiler", but when
trying to use the already built compiler to produce the 'libiberty'
library for the
target !  The GCC build tries to do this AFTER the compiler is made...

If you want to build ONLY GCC, you write 'make all-gcc' as the 'make'
command...

If you want to install ONLY GCC, you write 'make install-gcc' as the
'make install'
command...
> My  gcc config is
> # ./configure  -target-mips-elf --prefix=/usr/local
> --enable-language=c --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ad
 The 'ad' probably was a typo...

> On  executing command  'make' . Iam  getting  the  error.

> checking whether the C compiler (
> /root/Project-Genesis1-uClibc-scratch/gcc-src/gcc-test/gcc-3.3.2/gcc/xgcc
> -B/root/Project-Genesis1-uClibc-scratch/gcc-src/gcc-test/gcc-3.3.2/gcc/
> -B/usr/local/mips-elf/bin/ -B/usr/local/mips-elf/lib/ -isystem
> /usr/local/mips-elf/include -O2 -g -O2 ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.
> make: *** [configure-target-libiberty] Error 1

 In the GCC case the binaries: 'gcc', 'cc1', 'collect2' etc., the
'libgcc*.a' helper libraries plus
some GCC's own headers, are what would be called as "C compiler".  The
built C compiler can
produce assembly source from the high-level C source but nothing much
more, producing
executables happens with the linker, 'ld', after 'as' has converted the
assembly into an object.
And of course the standard C library is required to provide the
startups, 'crt*.o', the standard
'libc', the standard C headers etc.   So what I wrote earlier :

  "The 'mips-elf' targeted libraries and headers then SHOULD be in these
two directories...
In your case some uClibc made for the 'mips' architecture, at least the
headers...."

 The standard C headers for the target are required when compiling the
'libgcc*.a'....

 In order to see what the 'libc' has in it, the libiberty configure does
some link tests
with some simple programs. And in that comes the error you got!

 So just do a "make install-gcc", then try to "compile" (and link) a
"Hello World" with the
uClibc you have for MIPS... If you haven't that yet, then use your
installed GCC to build
it first!  After installing and everything expected to be OK, just try
that "Hello World"
and see what on earth is the problem...  Usually the problem is that
there is no C library
and therefore producing executables by linking against it impossible.
What doesn't exist
must be created first!

> It  seems  to problem while building libiberty.

Yes!  But it would be better you to do your homework: install the new
GCC and then
try it to compile&link some simple apps... If these are succeeding but
the configure
still fails, then it is the time to dig into those logfiles you put here...