GCC support for STDC constructs

Prabhjeet Singh Grover Prabhjeet_Grover@infosys.com
Thu Oct 12 06:16:00 GMT 2006

Thanks Brian for the reply.

I have set CC to 'gcc' and CFLAGS to '-lsocket'. Tried setting CC to
'gcc -ansi' also but without success. I am attaching the config.log file
as I was unable to figure out the issue.

Regards

Prabhjeet Singh
Need a helping hand? There's one on ur arm!

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Dessent [mailto:brian@dessent.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:06 AM
To: Prabhjeet Singh Grover
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org; autoconf@gnu.org
Subject: Re: GCC support for STDC constructs

Prabhjeet Singh Grover wrote:

> I have gcc 2.95.2 installed on Solaris 9 platform. I am installing
> OpenLDAP 2.3.27 (latest) on the same machine and have installed all
the
> required pre-requisites for that. Now while running the ./configure
> command, I am getting an error "configure: error: OpenLDAP requires
> compiler to support STDC constructs." Please let me know if this is an
> issue with the gcc version or some configuration settings.

The error you are seeing is due to generic C compiler detection code in
autoconf; it's not specific to openldap.  It is the result of
ac_cv_prog_cc_stdc being set to 'no' after a call to AC_PROG_CC.  This
happens when autoconf can't figure out how to set the selected C
compiler into ANSI mode (i.e. accepting function prototypes.)

gcc 2.95.2 is ancient (released on 10-27-1999, nearly 7 years ago!) but
it should still support standard ANSI C prototypes.  Therefore you're
probably running into a configuration problem.  It would be helpful if
you posted what values you have set for the environment variables such
as CC and CFLAGS, if any.  You might also try experimenting with setting
CC to "gcc" or perhaps "gcc -ansi".  You should also look at the
config.log file generated by configure that has the results of the
tests.  Look at the part near "Checking for $CC option to accept ANSI C"
and see why it fails.

Also, consider posting to the autoconf list (which I added to CC), as
this doesn't seem to necessarily have anything to do with gcc so much as
autoconf.

Brian