Error when compiling driver on 64-bit platform

Aurelio Caliaro aureliocaliaro@yahoo.de
Sun Oct 8 18:37:00 GMT 2006

Hi everybody

I am compiling a driver for my wireless card (RT61 Wireless Lan Linux
Driver). In 32-bit mode, it compiles OK. In 64-bit mode, there are
errors like this:
    {standard input}: Assembler messages:
     {standard input}:45: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `pop'

I checked the assembler code and found out, that the error always
appears when the source calls "spin_lock_irqsave", which is a linux
macro which I could investigate until local_irq_save. Unfortunately I
could not investigate further because I didn't find out where
local_irq_save is defined.

Does anybody have a clue how this problem can be solved and whether it
is a bug in the linux header files, in the driver source code or in
gcc?

Regards,
Aurelio