Cross Compiler Host MinGW Target PowerPC

Kai Ruottu karuottu@mbnet.fi
Mon Nov 20 13:35:00 GMT 2006

Brian Dessent kirjoitti:
>>> So I am able to compile the GCC in Linux now!
>>> Today I tried the same procedure in MinGW and fail.

 As a "build factory" Linux is quite working...  But Windoze isn't :-(

> Just to clarify, the reason that MinGW can be a difficult host is
> because the build tools (MSYS) understand posix paths but native MinGW
> binaries do not.  This means that you have to be careful that all paths
> that are compiled into binaries/headers (such as in specs or the build
> helper programs like gengtype) are either relative paths or win32 paths
> (c:/foo/bar).
>

> It would be a lot easier to instead use Cygwin as the host for a cross
> compiler because you don't have to worry about any of this, as all
> Cygwin binaries understand posix paths so there is none of this
> "cognitive dissonance" between the build system and the actual binaries.

 Or simply use Linux as the $build system !   At least Debian provides a
Linux-to-MinGW cross-
toolchain as prebuilt just as it provides a Linux-to-Linux native
toolchain...  Seemingly also cross-
toolchains for other Debian-supported Linux architectures!

 Running text-mode Linux apps made for Debian Linux should succeed also
on other distros, I
once tried the Debian's gcc-3.4 for MinGW on SuSE 9.2 and there was no
problems.  The
problem can be with the '.deb' package, one not guessing how to unpack
it. But if we use the
name "archive", the clue is in this. The '.deb' packages are archives
created with 'ar' and in them
are the 'data.tar.gz' packages which everyone should be capable to
unpack somewhere !

I myself have produced hundreds of Cygwin and MinGW-hosted toolchains
but never any of them
on Windoze...  IMHO Windoze is both horribly slow (4-6 times slower
being reported many times
by those who have compared Linux and Cygwin) and very "weird" as a
"Unix-like" build platform,
it really isn't "identical with a Unix", not a "plug and play Unix"
like Linux....

But when running binutils, GCC, Insight-GDB, make etc.  "compiling and
debugging tools" on
Windoze, one usually don't need to be inside the build factory just as a
car doesn't need to be
used inside the car factory, the plain road may be enough....  So things
like MSYS and Cygwin
can be totally vain.