ADL Help

John Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Mon Nov 6 16:17:00 GMT 2006

Hi Perry,

Ahh, sorry for my misunderstanding of the problem you are trying to solve.

I read this URL on ADL...
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechDocumentDetailPage_IDX/1,1701,9
90,00.html

I have to say (in my best Johnny Carson voice), "I did not know that!"  No
bug in GCC, just a gap in my knowledge about ADL.

I believe the disconnect that you are running into is that a struct or a
class scope does not have all the facility of an actual, bona fide, genuine
namespace.  For example, I do not believe that ADL is applicable within a
class or struct scope (i.e., trying to treat the class/struct scope as a
namespace).

Note to self:  ADL *ONLY* looks at the parameters, not the arguments.  (So
implicit conversion does not apply.)

Interesting information!

Thanks,
--Eljay