Linking un-referenced function

John Carter john.carter@tait.co.nz
Tue May 23 00:49:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Jason Lam wrote:

> I looked through the documents and couldn't find an
> option to not link an un-referenced function into the
> final image.  Does GCC support it?  Could someone
> please help?

Tends to occur at the linker script level...

>From the ld info file...

Input Section and Garbage Collection

When link-time garbage collection is in use (`--gc-sections'), it is
often useful to mark sections that should not be eliminated.  This is
accomplished by surrounding an input section's wildcard entry with
`KEEP()', as in `KEEP(*(.init))' or `KEEP(SORT_BY_NAME(*)(.ctors))'.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter@tait.co.nz
New Zealand

Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.