gcc-4.0 doesn't recognize .cc?

tonyr tonyr@hevanet.com
Tue May 9 23:31:00 GMT 2006

I'm looking at the Linux distro Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper), a Debian derivative,
which uses
gcc/g++ 4.03.  I see that gcc does not recognize the .cc extension
as a C++ file, that is
   gcc foo.cc
fails with errors.  The man page for gcc says it should recognize .cc
files as being c++ and handle them accordingly.

foo.cc is the simple C++ program
//########################
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Hello World! \n";
}

The gcc man page also says that the -x <lang> option should force
a language front end, i.e, 'gcc -x c++'  should force the c++ front end.
That's not working either.

Is this behavior a policy change with the gcc version 4 collection,
or should I be looking to the Debian or Ubuntu development
teams for answers?  This looks to me like a build policy decision
(building gcc w/o c++ recognition support).