Same binary, different md5sums

Mattias Brändström thebrasse@brasse.org
Wed May 3 09:52:00 GMT 2006

Hello!

Why does g++ generate binaries with different checksums when I compile
my project at two different occasions with the same commands?

I realize that this is a fairly broad question, but I would like to know
if there is anything in particular I should take into account when
trying to generate binaries with the same checksum.

My code does not do any strange things that would change the way the
code would look to the compiler. (No time dependent macros or any such
thing, if that is even possible.) When I try and compile small "hello
word" type programs the checksums are the same between different builds,
but when I compile a slightly larger project they differ.

What do I need to do in order to be able to build binaries that will
have the same checksum after two different builds? What can influence
g++ to produce slightly different binaries? Perhaps there is a compiler
option that I don't know about that will help me?

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Mattias