Maximum Allocatable Dynamic Memory
Ian Lance Taylor
iant@google.com
Thu Jun 22 18:35:00 GMT 2006
sonatabar bar <sonatabar@yahoo.com> writes:
> I am trying to test what is the maximum allocatable
> dynamic memory on a give machine. For my surprise I
> see wonders happening, and I don't have an
> explaination to it. I understand a bit that, it
> doesn't have to do with compilers entirely, and hece
> seeking explaination.
>
> this test fails allocating memory for index 68561
> which means => allocated memory is (68561000000*8)
> bytes =>X
> => X/1024/1024/1024 = 510.82 Gig ???
>
> May be I am missing something, tried running it on a 2
> & 4 Gig phyiscal memory machines, with a swap space of
> 8Gig.
Wrong mailing list. This is not a gcc question. It is a kernel or a
library question.
I believe the answer is that the kernel permits you to allocate as
many pages as you like, but when you actually try to use them and it
looks for a place to put them, it will fail. I am not an expert,
though.
Ian
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list