GCC4 x86_64 pushfl / pop %eax inline asm ?

Wed Jun 14 17:19:00 GMT 2006

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>> test.s:2287: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `pushf'
>> test.s:2288: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `pop'
>
> Those errors are coming from the assembler.  This is an assembler
> issue, not a gcc issue.

Sorry yes, I meant assembler, hence the use of .s files.

> This one happens to be simple: the x86_64 does not have a pushfl
> instruction.  Read the fine manual.  The x86_64 does have a pushfq
> instruction.

Ah, I was not aware of that, I'm porting existing code and was expecting
the same instructions to exist.  Thanks for his pointer I have now got
my code to compile again for both targets.

Thanks for your help!

Darryl