g77/gfortran incompatibilities---name mangling

sean yang seanatpurdue@hotmail.com
Sun Jun 11 03:00:00 GMT 2006

I saw a same question asked on the mailing list(date back to last year), but
it was not answered.

Can I somehow make the code compiled by gfortran compatible to the code
compiled by g77? Because symbol name in lots of libraries are g77
compitable. Here is a concrete example,

I tried to compile the following mpi programs with g77(the fotran compiler
under the directory  /usr/bin on my machine) and gfotran (the fortran
compiler I generated from gcc 4.0.2)
#/usr/bin/g77 -c test.f
#nm test.o
00000029 T MAIN__
         U mpi_comm_rank__
         U mpi_comm_size__
         U mpi_finalize__
         U mpi_init__

#/home/gcc402/bin/gfortran -c test.f
#nm test.o
00000000 T MAIN__
         U mpi_comm_rank_
         U mpi_comm_size_
         U mpi_finalize_
         U mpi_init_
--------------------test.f-------------
        program main

      include 'mpif.h'

      double precision  PI25DT
      parameter        (PI25DT = 3.141592653589793238462643d0)

      double precision  mypi, pi, h, sum, x, f, a
      integer n, myid, numprocs, i, rc
c                                 function to integrate
      f(a) = 4.d0 / (1.d0 + a*a)

      call MPI_INIT( ierr )
      call MPI_COMM_RANK( MPI_COMM_WORLD, myid, ierr )
      call MPI_COMM_SIZE( MPI_COMM_WORLD, numprocs, ierr )

30   call MPI_FINALIZE(rc)
      stop
      end