Error during make bootstrap (gcc-4.1.1)

Asher Langton langton2@llnl.gov
Tue Jul 18 16:13:00 GMT 2006

On 7/18/06, Santosh Sugur <santosh.sugur@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Asher Langton <langton2@llnl.gov> wrote:
> > >Thanks a lot. It went beyond the last error after I used gmake. It ran
> > >for a couple of hours and then quit with the following error:
> > >

> > >/u1/santosh/cfiles/GCC_installs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc-4.1.1/libjava/classpath/configure:
> > >syntax error at line 11740: `QT_INCLUDE_DIR=$' unexpected
> > >configure: error: /bin/sh
> > >'/u1/santosh/cfiles/GCC_installs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc-4.1.1/libjava/classpath/configure'
> > >failed for classpath
> >
> > Are you using Sun's /bin/sh?  This is known to fail:
> >
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-x-solaris2
> >

> Thanks Asher. However the build still failed after setting
> CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh

Did you also export CONFIG_SHELL?  Or, if you are using /bin/csh, you
might need to 'setenv CONFIG_SHELL /usr/bin/ksh'.

Try starting from scratch (with a clean object directory), setting
CONFIG_SHELL and building with GNU make (gmake).  If that doesn't
work, post the error messages you are seeing.

> One more question, I had gone through the host specific notes and had
> not applied them as all of them were for *-*-solaris2*. I am using
> SunOS 5.10. Was I wrong?

>From what I understand, SunOS and Solaris refer to the same system;
SunOS is the kernel, while Solaris is the distribution.  In your
earlier post, the log file line "checking host system type..."
identified the system as Solaris.  When in doubt, run the config.guess
script in the gcc source directory, and you'll get an idea of what
system GCC thinks you have.

> Can the variable CONFIG_SHELL be set explicitly in some file because still
> /bin/sh is being used.

See above.  It sounds like CONFIG_SHELL isn't being set.  In the shell
where you have set CONFIG_SHELL, type 'env'.  Does CONFIG_SHELL show
up in the listing?

-Asher