GCC is freezing when compiling a big TU with the -g option

Olivier Langlois olanglois@quazal.com
Mon Jul 10 04:18:00 GMT 2006

Olivier Langlois
http://www.olivierlanglois.net

> Are you sure it doesn't eventually terminate?  It might be that it's
> writing an enormous amount of debuginfo to a temporary asm fie.

Hi Andrew,

Yes I'm pretty much sure that the compiler is really dead. There is no
more HD activity when the compiler gets stuck and I have let the
compiler running during a whole night! It is as if I was reaching a
hardcoded limit on the maximum number of functions that the compiler can
process for a single TU with '-g'. It is especially true with template
instantiation. A lot of included classes declarations are declaring
private STL containers. I have been able to get the compilation further
by encapsulating/hiding the STL containers declaration away from the
header files.

Greetings,
Olivier