C++: Is there a Value used to designate the end-of-an-array for non-char arrays?

Perry Smith pedz@easesoftware.net
Mon Jan 23 14:08:00 GMT 2006

In general, no.

For some specific instances, there is a value but that value is put
there by the C code (or C++ code) and not the "language" or the
compiler.  For example, the main program is called as:  int main(int
argc, char *argv[])  The argv array is an array of pointers to
strings.  The last entry in the array is a null pointer.  But, as I
said, that is set up by other code before main is called.

So, if you are writing just the receiving part of such an interface,
check with the side that is creating the array to see if they are
doing something similar.  Or if you are creating both sides of the
interface, then you can design and implement whatever you desire.
Often, with an array of structures, a particular field in the
structure is given a special value that should never otherwise occur.

HTH,
Perry