libgcc.a, et. al.

Perry Smith pedz@easesoftware.net
Sat Jan 7 21:27:00 GMT 2006

I can not find a description of what the different versions of libgcc
and libstd++ are for.  Some versions are obvious, others are not.

In particular, I am trying to determine what these libraries are
for:  (this is on AIX version 5.3)  (how are they different from each
other perhaps is a better way to phrase my question.  Or what
objective do each of these have?)

gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0/4.0.2/libgcc_eh.a
libgcc_s.a
libsupc++.a
libstdc++.a

To provide some background, I am attempting to write a device driver
on AIX 5.3 using C++.  I want to use the try/catch/throw exception
part of C++.  I realize this may be an uphill battle but I think it
will be worth it.  To do this, the driver must be linked statically
except for references resolved by exports provided by the AIX kernel
services.  I've been writing drivers using xlc on AIX for 18+ years
so I am familiar with the AIX environment using C but want to start
using C++.

Thank you,
Perry Smith