Help needed bootstrap'ing 4.1/4.2 snapshots on OSX TIger

Heitzso heitzso@growthmodels.com
Thu Feb 23 15:43:00 GMT 2006


I've spent a couple days trying to get 2 different 4.1 snapshots and
a 4.2 snapshot to compile on OS X Tiger 10.4.  I've tried compiling
gcc with official Tiger 3.x and official Tiger 4.x gcc.  I've also tried
compiling with fink gcc 4.x.  All gcc bootstraps run for several hours
(1G RAM, 1.25ghz eMac) then stop at the same place. 

It appears that it gets to a point in the build where it is testing
whether a bootstrap compiler functions.  But, on the console,
there is no target file provided to compile(?).  Next line states
that a.out does not work and the "make bootstrap" errors out.

My directory layout:
    /Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/gcc.src  (renamed from gcc unpack)
    /Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/obj   (where I run configure from and the make)
    /Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/gcc  (where I configure output to go)

==========

End of "make bootstrap", similar to all of the other failures to run
over the past few days:

checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0-gcc... 
/Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/obj/./gcc/xgcc 
-B/Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/obj/./gcc/ 
-B/Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0/bin/ 
-B/Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0/lib/ -isystem 
/Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0/include -isystem 
/Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0/sys-include  -m64
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C 
compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
make[2]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

==========

My configure command, run in gcc-4.1/obj:

../gcc-4.1.0-20060219/configure \
        --prefix=/Users/heitzso/gcc-4.1/gcc \
        --enable-languages=c,c++,java \
        --enable-threads=posix

==========

Thanks,
Heitzso



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list