Problems making a cross-compiler

Kai Ruottu karuottu@mbnet.fi
Fri Feb 17 11:33:00 GMT 2006

David Fernandez kirjoitti:
>     make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/gnu-build/gcc'

"Leaving the 'gcc' subdirectory" means that your "GCC" is ready (in the
old gcc-2.8 and earlier meaning) !

 After installing the "GCC parts"  you can try compiling "Hello World"
and see what on earth the problem
now is...  The "GCC installation" happens with the command 'make
install-gcc'. Producing "only" GCC
happens with 'make all-gcc', if this succeeds, GCC can be installed and
tested.  After fixing the problems
in your current GCC, producing the 'libiberty' and 'libstdc++-v3' parts
can be continued.
> Configuring in i686-pc-msdosdjgpp/libstdc++-v3
> configure: creating cache ./config.cache
> checking build system type... i386-redhat-linux-gnu
> checking for sys/time.h... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
> checking sys/uio.h usability... no
> checking sys/uio.h presence... no
> checking for sys/uio.h... no
> checking for g++ that supports -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections... yes
> checking for sin in -lm... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
> make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

 Getting libstdc++-v3 requires a working GCC which can create simple
executables like "Hello World" !
"Don't consider driving hundreds of miles with your car before you are
sure that it can go even one mile..."

> P.D.	I've been unable to find crossgcc faq...

 Has there ever been such?  Those claiming to be that have only been
opinions from some persons (consultants
etc. selling their own services), never giving any "Frequently Asked
Questions", asked on the crosgcc maillist, and
given answers to them...  Maybe someone could collect those questions
and their answers (not me, I too would
have too many own opinions about these things after more than 1000
cross-GCC builds...)