[Fwd: Re: bounds checking a GCC program]

Perry Smith pedz@easesoftware.com
Wed Dec 6 17:23:00 GMT 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Perry Smith wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Stuart Cracraft wrote:
>
>> The issue that I had to solve by arduously single-stepping
>> through a complex program (took a week) turned out to
>> be a pointer stepping outside of pre-determined places
>> within a single-dimensional array; that is, the pointer
>> stayed within the overall array but stepped outside of
>> determined areas within the array and this resulted
>> in the clobbering of areas elsewhere.
>>
>> Having bounds checking that tells me when it stepped
>> out of the overall array would not have helped.
>>
>> What is needed is something that says has it stepped
>> out of a pre-defined area within a single array.
>>
>> My application is written in C and maintains its own
>> stack which is what was clobbered.
>
> boost.org has a C++ implementation of a "subrange".  I've never
> used it
> and do not know much about it.  But it sounds like (as in Pascal), you
> want you array indexes to be a subrange that is checked.  I think the
> boost library can help you there.

As usual, I was slightly confused.  Its not on the boost site but
uses the boost
license.  The path to what I was talking about is here:

http://www.russel.org.uk/subrange.html

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems