Help with g++ (Newbie)
Peter Cech
pcech@vision.ee.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 5 11:42:00 GMT 2006
On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 02:19:52 -0800, abhivg wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> WRT
> > Tell us the precise command that you ran and the precise output that
> > you got. We can't guess.
>
> I am working in a directory 'New Folder' which contains the following files:
> - main.cpp //main program
> - fittinglib.a //library/archive file
> - CurveFittingAPI.h //header file containing the exposed functions from
> the library file fittinglib.a
>
> I ran the following command:
> g++ -Wall main.cpp fittinglib.a
>
> I got the following output:
>
> C:\test2\New Folder>g++ -Wall main.cpp fittinglib.a
> main.cpp:4:20: no include path in which to search for string.h
> In file included from main.cpp:5:
> CurveFittingAPI.h:15:18: no include path in which to search for vector
> In file included from main.cpp:5:
Looks like something went wrong when installing the compiler. Are you
using MinGW or Cygwin?
> > I assume that by "an exe" you mean an executable file (the default
> > name on Unix is "a.out", but you can call it anything you like;
> > executable files generally have no extension on Unix). g++ will
> > generate this by default. For example "g++ hello.cc" will generate
> > the executable file "a.out".
> >
> > I assume that by "an .out file" you mean an object file (on Unix these
> > usually have an extension of ".o"). g++ will generate that if you use
> > the -c option. See the documentation.
>
> Yes, by exe I meant an executable file. By a '.out' file, I meant an output
> file or UNIX executable file. But, I would like to create an executable file
> on Windows(.exe) using g++. Pardon my ignorance, but is that possible er
> does it generate only UNIX executable files?
Might be it is an exe, but with wrong extension (never tried myself).
Anyway, you can use
g++ main.cpp -o myProgram.exe
to generate executable with an appropriate name.
Hope it helps,
Peter
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list