A question about assembler

Kai Ruottu karuottu@mbnet.fi
Thu Aug 3 23:41:00 GMT 2006

Niu, Bao Qiang (Henry) wrote:
> I have a problem when I try to do the 'make' operation, it failed because
> the assembler mismatch, it should use 'asppc', but every time it try to find
> 'as'.

The 'gcc' driver does this always, it is a computer program and so as
default very stupid :-) Where it searches 'as',
can be seen via 'gccppc -print-search-dirs' (if 'gccppc' it the 'gcc'),
and looking at the 'programs' part in the given
output...

A human being can use toolnames like 'gccppc', 'asppc' etc. from PATH,
but GCC first looks its own search dirs and
then goes to search via PATH for the bare name 'as', 'ld' etc.

> I'm sure the macro 'AS=asppc' is set.

This environment setting has no influence, please consult your nice GCC
manuals for the settings which have some...

The normal installation has these 'gccppc', 'asppc' ettc. human usable
programs in PATH, usually in '$prefix/bin',
where '$prefix' is the value given in '--prefix=$prefix' when the GCC
was configured and built. The 'install' dir for the
'specs' is usually '$prefix/lib/gcc-lib/$target/$gcc-version', where the
'$target' is the target name ('ppc-wrs-vxworks'
or something in your case) and '$gcc-version' is the GCC version,
'2.95.3', '3.2.3' or soomething... And the normal
place for the right 'as' is the '$prefix/$target/bin'... In your case
this directory should have a symlink 'as' to point to
the 'asppc'....