static libgcc_s.a?

Maarten Thibaut mthibaut@cisco.com
Wed Aug 23 19:52:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

Can libgcc_s.so be made static, resulting in a libgcc_s.a?

The reason I'm asking this is that on Solaris, libgcc_s.so can't be made
available using LD_LIBRARY_PATH (I haven't tested LD_PRELOAD). In our
environment this means that if I compile a program on an NFS client that
has gcc at /opt/local/gcc/4.1.1/bin/gcc, it automatically means I need to
copy over /opt/local/gcc/4.1.1/lib/libgcc_s.so to any host that isn't an
NFS client - like one of our servers.

This pollutes the directory structure on our servers and it's our major
reason for preferring Sun Studio over gcc. Can we fix this on our side by
compiling libgcc_s statically?

thanks,
maarten