Multiple GCC and multiple sets of shared libraries

Joe Hsu nagual.hsu@gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:16:00 GMT 2006

Dear ALL:

        I know this is an old question and I've done
some googling.

        I successfully built gcc 2.96 on a redhat 7.3 computer with
its installation in /usr/local/gcc/2.96. (I built this with gcc 2.96 located
in /usr/bin)

        Then I clone the whole directory /usr/local/gcc/2.96 to
another computer and its OS is gentoo 2005.

        Then successfully I can build driver modules using gcc 2.96
in gentoo OS and let it run on other computers with kernel built
by gcc 2.96.

        But when it comes to application programs, I can not just clone
the shared libraries on a red hat 7.3 computer to somewhere else on the
gentoo computer and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

        It always links to gentoo's default libraries when compiling
with gcc 2.96
on the gentoo computer. And if I copy the compiled application program to
a Red Hat 7.3 environment, it would complain abount wrong libraries that
not compiled with gentoo's gcc.

       Can someone give me some hints about this. thanks.

--
The sun is shinny but the ice is slippery.