strings and char *

Michael Surette msurette@laframboise.net
Thu Aug 10 18:09:00 GMT 2006

It's been a while since I've written any C code, so please forgive me if
this is a newbie type question.

I was having a problem with a larger program when I ran into a problem.  The
following code snippet should work according to what I remember of C.
What's wrong with it?

------------

char * color;
char * r="red";
color = r;

------------

gcc -c ar.c

ar.c:3: error: conflicting types for 'color'
ar.c:1: error: previous declaration of 'color' was here
ar.c:3: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
ar.c:3: error: initializer element is not constant
ar.c:3: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

gcc --version

gcc (GCC) 3.4.4