stdio.h: File not found?!?

Kai Ruottu karuottu@mbnet.fi
Thu Apr 6 13:53:00 GMT 2006

Kai Ruottu kirjoitti:
> Martin Krischik kirjoitti:
>
> > I did not expect to need a mingw-runtime before the 2nd step
> (creating a
> > --build=x86_64-suse-linux --host=mingw --target=mingw compiler)
>
> Producing GCC requires a "complete C compiler".  The "ISO99 C compiler"
> the "Prerequisites" in the "Installing GCC" talks about is something
> very weird
> gibberish for most people.  Because GCC oneself cannot produce GCC, then
> GCC isn't a "ISO99 C compiler" or how?

 Why I took this here, is that the '--host=mingw --target=mingw'
requires a complete
C compiler for the '$host', here 'mingw'.  Producing 'xgcc.exe',
'cc1.exe', 'collect2.exe'
(maybe this doesn't succeed even now!) for MinGW host of course requires
that the
"C compiler can create executables"  (a funny joke the GCC build told to
the builder
earlier, that "C compiler cannot create executables" - a fact when one
talks about GCC,
but now this error message has bee changed to "Linking is not allowed after
GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES" or something....)

 So the target C library is required already when producing a
cross-GCC.  Adding it
later is not the rule...  Also producing a native GCC requires the
target C library being
in '/lib', '/usr/lib', '/usr/include' etc. but people usually don't see
anything weird in that...
That the target C library is required when producing a cross GCC then
seems to be
something totally weird for many GCC builders.  However just the same
operations,
fixincludes, compiling libgcc, libiberty, libstdc++, doing link tests
with the target C
library, will happen in both cases....   Maybe one's  political attitude
says that this is
not right and it should be otherwise, but this is the reality just now.
All nagging should
be sent to the GCC developers in order to get these operations removed :-)