problem with '-pg' switch..

jim marshall jim.marshall@wbemsolutions.com
Tue Apr 18 15:23:00 GMT 2006

Hello,
 I am having a problem when using the -pg compile switch with my
application, and was hoping someone might be able to assist somehow. I
have a fairly large application which compiles and runs fine, I wanted
to do some profiling on it so I added the "-pg" compile switch to my
release build. Now when I start the application it gets a "segmentation
fault" when it is starting. Looking in the debugger it is failing in a
function which is basically a no-op in our release build  - all it does
is "return;".

The program consists of a fairly generic executable, this executable
calls into a shared object (implicitly) which starts the real
processing. This shared object implicitly and dynamically links to other
shared objects. However; it seems to crash before it gets to any other
shared objects. The main executable calls the stub function in the
primary shared object and the process seg faults.

Here is some information about my environment

gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)

Red Hat 9.0 (no patches)
Linux wbempc 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

compile options for main executable
cc -D_LINUX -Wall -D__USE_ISOC99 -D__USE_POSIX -D_COMPILE_UNIX -z defs
-pg -O2 -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE -lourlib

compile options for shared object (ourlib):
cc -Wall -D_LINUX -fpic -pg -O2 -shared -D_COMPILE_UNIX -D__USE_ISOC99
-D__USE_POSIX  -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE -D_REENTRANT -z defs

Thanks in advance
Jim Marshall